Sunday, May 24, 2009

Companion lost

I cried a lot today.

I know, I know, I’m a big tough guy. But today I had to put down my beautiful German Shepherd, Holmes, after 12 and a half years of being my unconditional friend and companion.

We are masochists us dog owners I think. We know we will outlive our pets and we get the gut-wrenching inevitable end such as I experienced today. Yet we will do it again and again.

Holmes was a terrific dog. I got her when she was just six weeks old. And walking her in those days down around Second Beach in Vancouver illustrated what a chick magnet she was. Or I suppose any puppy really. But damn, she was cute.

My friend John Daly, the BCTV, now Global, reporter was responsible for her improbable name. She was little ball of fluff when he first met her. The first words out of his mouth were “Yo Holmes” and thus she was named.

I spent a lot of time with her in the early days. She learned all the usual commands plus a few more. When she was told to “get busy,’ she went off the beaten path and did her business in an area where no living creature would likely tread.

I remember a day when she was ill and had diarrhea. I had to go out for the evening and was concerned about the state of the house upon my return. Well she did have an issue, but she had the good sense to get into the bathtub and deal with her issue there.

She was loved by anyone who came into contact with her. This morning those who loved her got together and walked with her in her favourite park. She went for a swim in the sea for the last time and was cheered on by those who cared.

I have been blessed to have had a great dog in my life and saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I held her in my lap as she breathed her last. I dread life without her, but I know she has had a great life and I know she enjoyed every moment she had.

Holmes, I will miss you.

Leo Knight

primetimecrime@gmail.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats too bad about your poor dog Leo. Actually to be honest I couldnt really care and really its just a dog. After the comments you made at the end of your post "And Robert Dziekanski was waste of a man even if the police haters are trying to elevate him to sainthood. He had not amounted to anything in his life and he wasn't smart enough to recognize that responding police officers were trying to intervene with his dilemma.

Too bad, so sad. But his death was not the fault of those four police officers." nearly made me sick to my stomach. I guess in your eyes unless you have become succesful in life that you dont have the right to live. Or in alot of your posts you call criminals pieces of crap. I have never myself been in despair as my parents gave me all the means to be succesful in life as I am sure yours did also. For the ones that have turned to drugs or crime I suggest you put yourself in there shoes and see how they grew up and perhaps your opinion may change because I certainly feel sorry for many of them. If my son's life was taken at the hands of some useless cops I would expect a little more compassion. So when I read this article on your dog all I can think booo hooo for you. Just a thought but the dog is probably happy it doesnt have to listen to or look at a useless piece of skin like yourself everyday. Hope you werent expecting any compasion from me because thats the last thing you would be getting

Anonymous said...

Leo,

My condolences for your loss. They refer to them as "man's best friend" for a good reason. Hope you're doing better.

And as for the anonymous jerk poster up above me; dude - you seriously do need to get your head kicked in for your moronic comments.

POTP

PS said...

Leo,

I have yet to tell my girls, but I am sure that they will be very upset to hear about Holmes. I remember visiting your home and seeing their natural interaction with Holmes that eventually led to us getting our dog......Shame you kept the 'get busy' command to yourself as Cooper really needed it too!

Best regards,

PS

Gary said...

I am very sorry for your loss Leo. Thankyou for sharing with us, your readers though. You have lost a part of your family, and while time heals, you will never forget your friend. Rest assured that you gave your furry companion the best home that you could. That's all we can do, and you know that you fulfilled that. I have made 4 final trips to the Vets with our cats, over the years for the same reason. I couldn't "abandon" them, when their time came. I wanted to be with them to the end.
Be gentle on yourself Leo....

Jay said...

My deepest condolences, Leo. We all know what its like to lose a loved one, but it never gets any easier. The pain and heartbreak we feel is the price to love.

Anonymous said...

Leo, sincere sympathy on your loss; a pet owner's worst hour.

If you haven't already, read "The Rainbow Bridge". This verse is a must for all those who suffer the loss of a beloved pet.